Ministry of Foreign Affairs encourages Zambians to take out travel and medical insurance as ministry manages to readmit Zambian in Istanbul to hospital – Mwebantu
A 15-year-old girl from Mulenga Primary School in Kitwe on died after consuming rat poison.
The girl is believed to have consumed rat poison after her aunt threatened to take her back to the village due to her bad behavior.
The incident happened last week on Monday.
Asked about the incident, Barbara Munuka, the deceased’s aunt, said she berated her niece like a mother would after noticing her bad behavior.
Ms Munuka said her niece had started to develop bad habits and in a bid to show care and guidance from her parents, she decided to advise against her behavior for fear of falling victim to teenage pregnancies .
She said the deceased hated being brought back to the village, which is why she took rat poison last week on Monday.
Ms Munuka said the deceased was rushed to Kitwe University Hospital where she was treated by a doctor and later discharged.
“I tried to be a parent and tried to help her with counseling her on the pregnancy, but she didn’t like the subject so I decided it was best to take her back to the village. “However, on Tuesday after being discharged from hospital on the same Monday the incident occurred, her health deteriorated and she was rushed back to the emergency hospital, but sadly she died in the early hours. Wednesday, she said.
Mulenga Primary School headmaster Owen Mutonga said the girl was an eighth grader at the school and was known for her good behavior.
According to a report he received, he said his student drank a poisonous substance and died.
And Kamfinsa Area MP Christopher Kangombe said he was saddened by the loss of the girl, hence the need for consultative meetings on child suicide cases.
(Mwebantu, Monday, June 13, 2022)